With all the hype around online video it can be tempting to create a business video simply because “everyone else is doing it”. But it’s important to step back a little bit and think about your overall video strategy. What are you aiming to achieve with your video? And how will you do this?
A video without a strategy is like a train without a track – it’ll never reach it’s end goal. But, never fear! We’ve put together a 5 step checklist to guide you to video marketing success.
1. Define your business goals
If you don’t define your video marketing goals from the outset, how will you ever know if you’ve achieved them?
What is your video’s aim? The answer to this question will guide the rest of your campaign: from production to delivery.
Three common goals of any video marketing campaign:
– Build brand awareness
– Increase conversion
– Generate shares and links
Video Marketing: Optimizing Video For Search Engines
Phil Nottingham of Distilled’s excellent slide share covers the three different types of goals for video and how you can achieve all three.
2. Who is your audience?
Different types of video content will resonate with different people. Once you have a handle on who your audience are you’ll have a better understanding of the kind of messaging to use.
– How old are they?
– What country are they from?
– How do they access your site (mobile or desktop)?
– At what point in the purchasing funnel are they?
– What are there interests?
This list is by no means exhaustive but it’s a starting point. The more information you can gather about your audience the better. You’ll then be able to create content that is relevant to them. Think about what these people care about, what are their pain points and how can your video help solve them?
Personas: Understanding The Person Behind The Visit
Taken from the Moz Blog this is a fantastic guide to creating audience personas. Covers everything from definitions to data gathering.
3. What type of video will you use?
The answer from this question should flow from the answers to the first two. If you know what your video aim is and who you are targeting you’ll be able to match the video’s form to its function.
The Benefits Of The Right Video At The Right Time
A quick look at the different types of video content that work well at different stages in the buying cycle.
4. Where will you host your video?
Again, the answer should become clear as long as you’ve followed the previous steps. A brand awareness video which is entertaining and aimed at an audience who are unfamiliar with your brand belongs on YouTube.
A video aiming to increase product sales, which gives a product demo needs to be embedded on your product page.
Similarly, if you’re using video to generate links and social shares you need to be sure those links are going to your own domain so use a secure host and embed the video on site.
The Troubles & Triumphs of Using YouTube
Harriet Cummings of Distilled looks at when you should use YouTube for your video marketing – and when you shouldn’t.
5. Have you given your video the right tools?
You wouldn’t expect a surgeon to operate without a scalpel. So don’t expect your video to work it’s magic without the tools it needs. Different tools are needed depending on your video goal.
– Host for maximum visibility, be sure your video is where your audience is
– Optimize YouTube titles and descriptions with relevant search terms and use tags
– Use a call to action: be sure viewers know what to do at the end of your video (e.g. buy something!)
– Capture emails: add a mail capture form to grow your newsletter list and stay in touch with your viewers
– Secure your video: make sure your video can only be embedded on your domain – you want it working for you and not somebody else.
Sell More With Video: 4 Pain Free Ways
Our very own Karmen explains the various features that will squeeze every conversion out of your video content.
Links & Shares
– Add social sharing buttons: this will mean your video can be shared with just one click
– Use a brand link: combining a brand link with social sharing is a smart way to drive traffic from social networks back to your site.
Video Sharing: 6 Secrets Every Marketer Needs To Know
Barney Worfolk-Smith of Unruly shares the 6 ways you can encourage video sharing based on empirical research.
Creating an effective video strategy is really just a matter of following a logical process. If you put the time in beforehand you’ll reap the rewards later.