Error: Cname not a valid URL (White Label Embed Codes Setup)

Jarrod Myers

28 Feb, 2012 07:25 PM

Dear Support, in trying to setup the White Label (CNAME) Branding, we receive the following error: Cname not a valid URL.
On Friday, we setup an alias for videos.e-tique.org to point to view.vzaar.com
You can view that this is a valid active DNS CNAME, results on DNS inquiry here:
http://network-tools.com/default.asp?prog=express&host=videos.e...

Is there something we've missed here? Are there any other customers using this feature?
Thank you,
Dan Leipnik

1. 2 Posted by Jarrod Myers on 28 Feb, 2012 08:10 PM

Here is some more info on this subject:
    If you load "videos.e-tique.org" in your browser,
    page displays "Vzaar Video Distributor - contact vzaar for further details."

Thanks, Dan

2. Support Staff 3 Posted by Dan on 28 Feb, 2012 09:25 PM

Hi there,

Many thanks for contacting us.

I think it may be the hyphen in the URL causing this. I can't think of any other reason why it would be refused because we have plenty of people successfully using this service, but I'll check with the developers when I get to work tomorrow and give you a more detailed response. If it does turn out to be a bug we should be able to get it fixed quickly for you.

All the best,
    Dan

3. 4 Posted by Jarrod Myers on 29 Feb, 2012 08:54 PM

Hi Dan, have you had a chance to talk with the developers?
    I think it is a bug on Vzaar's end, based on what I provided to you yesterday..

4. Support Staff 5 Posted by Dan on 29 Feb, 2012 09:01 PM

Hi there,

I was correct in my assumption: it was the hypen in your URL that was causing this to happen. We've edited the validation test now and it should go live on the next deployment tomorrow.

I will inform you when this happens so that you can get moving. Just as a reminder, you will need to update your embed codes to reflect the new URL.

All the best,
    Dan

5. 6 Posted by Jarrod Myers on 29 Feb, 2012 09:32 PM

That is great news, thanks Dan!
    Let me know when I should go ahead and test it again..

-Dan Leipnik

6. Support Staff 7 Posted by Dan on 29 Feb, 2012 09:37 PM

No problem at all!

I'll let you know as soon as I do.

Regards,
    Dan

7. Support Staff 8 Posted by Dan on 01 Mar, 2012 01:21 PM

Hi Dan,

The bug fix is now deployed and I've added the videos.e-tique.org alias to your account. You'll notice that the new embed codes are on your video pages so you can get on with re-embedding your current videos.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

All the best,
    Dan

8. Dan closed this discussion on 01 Mar, 2012 01:21 PM.

9. Jarrod Myers re-opened this discussion on 01 Mar, 2012 09:39 PM

10. 9 Posted by Jarrod Myers on 01 Mar, 2012 09:39 PM

Hi Dan, can you put in a feature to your developers?
    Request re: White Label / Social Sharing
    We have social sharing feature on all of our videos,
    but when we go to share it, URL still points to view.vzaar.com and not
    videos.e-tique.org

I'm sure other clients would want this as well..
    Please get back to me, this was one reason we upgraded to get CNAME feature.

Thanks, Dan

11. Support Staff 10 Posted by Dan on 01 Mar, 2012 09:52 PM

Hi Dan,

You can allow this by going to an individual video page on vzaar and entering a URL in the 'video url on your website' section.

The reason for this is that while the domain name is aliased, it can not detect which page on your website the video is displayed on and amend the sharing link.

I am going to suggest to the developers a global setting for this that would point to the user's homepage by default, but for now it will have to be set on each video, whether you choose to always link to your homepage, or link to the particular video page on your site.

I hope this helps. Feedback of this kind really helps us make this an even better platform. Please get back in touch if you have any more questions.

All the best,
    Dan

12. Dan closed this discussion on 06 Mar, 2012 01:12 PM.

13. Jarrod Myers re-opened this discussion on 07 Mar, 2012 08:06 PM

14. 11 Posted by Jarrod Myers on 07 Mar, 2012 08:06 PM

Hello Dan, have you received any feedback from your developers/management on creating a global setting for Social Sharing/CNAME links?

Thank you,
    Dan

15. Support Staff 12 Posted by Dan on 07 Mar, 2012 08:15 PM

Hi Dan,

I've been told it's on the cards. There's quite a few small things to fix to allow for it, but it will be made active soon.

I'll leave this ticket open for now so that I can let you know any news as soon as I do.

All the best,
    Dan

16. 13 Posted by Jarrod Myers on 15 Mar, 2012 07:08 PM

In a related request, example goto the following URL:
    http://videos.e-tique.org/940075/video

The URL ends up resolving to a vzaar URL in the Browser.
    Is there any way to protect from this?
    We want to completely mask Vzaar as the source..

Thanks, Dan

17. Support Staff 14 Posted by Dan on 15 Mar, 2012 07:16 PM

Hi there,

The White Label feature masks the source as much as possible, but to completely remove all traces of where the videos originated would be very difficult and wouldn't allow us to offer it as cheaply.

I would recommend that you always embed videos rather than sharing the video URLs, as it's very unlikely that a user is going to take the trouble to dig through your source and experiment with the video embed code.

All the best,
    Dan

18. Support Staff 15 Posted by Dan on 21 Mar, 2012 09:39 AM

Hi Dan,

I'm going to close this ticket now but please feel free to reopen it or start a new one if you have any more questions.

Regards,
    Dan

19. Dan closed this discussion on 21 Mar, 2012 09:39 AM.

20. Jarrod Myers re-opened this discussion on 11 Jul, 2012 08:06 PM

21. 16 Posted by Jarrod Myers on 11 Jul, 2012 08:06 PM

Hello Dan, in response to your comment on March 1st, just checking the status of any progress either way?? Here is what you wrote:

Hi Dan,

You can allow this by going to an individual video page on vzaar and entering a URL in the 'video url on your website' section.

The reason for this is that while the domain name is aliased, it can not detect which page on your website the video is displayed on and amend the sharing link.

I am going to suggest to the developers a global setting for this that would point to the user's homepage by default, but for now it will have to be set on each video, whether you choose to always link to your homepage, or link to the particular video page on your site.

I hope this helps. Feedback of this kind really helps us make this an even better platform. Please get back in touch if you have any more questions.

All the best,
    Dan

Thanks,
    Dan

22. Support Staff 17 Posted by Dan on 12 Jul, 2012 08:02 AM

HI Dan,

Sorry I didn't update you - you can now set a global url for the social sharing buttons in settings -> behavior & controls.

All the best,
    Dan

23. Dan closed this discussion on 04 Sep, 2012 03:59 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac