Player problem on iOS 5 devices

09 Productions

09 Mar, 2012 03:06 PM

Hi,
I'm having a problem with some features of the player when i view it on iOS 5 devices such as iPad 2 & iPhone 4.
- The first problem is with the iPad; for some reason the player control bar does not disappear, ever, not even if i tap the video etc. This is quite a problem for me and I would assume for others, as this blocks 1/8th of the video. I have attached a screen grab from my iPad to this discussion to show this. - The second problem occurs with both devices and this is the drop in quality compared to how it appears on a PC or Mac. I've tried viewing the video on a 3g connection and a fast 30gb wifi broadband connection and there is no difference, it is still poor quality. Why is this and what can I do to resolve this?

1. 2 Posted by Jessica Huff on 09 Mar, 2012 06:00 PM

Hi there

Thanks for pointing this out to us. I have been able to re-create the issue with the toolbar covering your video (and not fading out) when using the iFrame embed code and it has been logged as a bug to be fixed soon. The toolbar does disappear when you select full-screen mode but I understand that this is not ideal.

As a temporary solution, you can change your embed code to the plain HTML setting on the Delivery & Embed section of the Global Settings page and then re-embed the video. This will change the video to use Apple's default player, which does have a faded out toolbar.

I have done some investigation into trying to find the best settings for your video but this is on-going so I will get back to you after doing more tests on Monday.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Kind regards

Jessica

2. 3 Posted by 09 Productions on 12 Mar, 2012 10:10 AM

Thanks for the reply Jessica.
    I hope I can stay with the iFrame code as I only recently changed everything over to it. I don't remember it doing this when you first released iFrame embed code.

Is the video quality due to the amount of streams set to my account? I do not know how many streams I have, but I should have 5. Could you check to see if this might be the problem?

Regards,

Phil

3. 4 Posted by Jessica Huff on 12 Mar, 2012 03:45 PM

Hi Phil

We are working on fixing the bug with the toolbar so you shouldn't have to re-embed your code unless you need this to be changed urgently. I will give you an update on this issue when I have more information.

You should be getting all five iOS streams but just in case I have re-encoded your video with all of the streams. I took a look at your video after doing this on an iPhone (with a reasonably fast connection) and I did not see any quality issues. Is it possible for you to test watching the video on both of your connections again to see if this has solved the problem?

We can disable the HTTP streaming versions if you want the iOS streaming quality to be the same as that of the uploaded video, although this will mean that you have to make sure that the output file is of a reasonable size to be streamed on iOS devices.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards

Jessica

4. 5 Posted by 09 Productions on 15 May, 2012 03:30 PM

Hi Jessica,

The iPhone and iPad issue has still not been resolved. I still get the bar across my video and the quality is still poor on these devices.

Regards,
    Phil Moreton,
    Cinematographer,
    07747 144 776
    09productions.com

5. 6 Posted by Jessica Huff on 15 May, 2012 04:13 PM

Hi Phil

To solve the player toolbar problem you can manually increase the player height in the embed code to create a letter-boxing effect, so that the toolbar will then only cover the black section at the bottom of the player.

If you are concerned about the quality of the iOS streams I am happy to turn these off for you, so that the video will remain the same quality as on Flash devices. Let me know if you would like this done to all or a selection of your videos. For a selection, please provide a list of the video ID numbers. Note that once the streams have been removed it will not be possible to turn them back on again in bulk, so you may wish to provide just one or two video ID numbers to test first.

Kind regards

Jessica

6. 7 Posted by 09 Productions on 16 May, 2012 02:08 PM

Hi Jessica,

If you could just do the showreel video for now. I'll check that out once it is done and let you know if I'll apply to all.

Many thanks,

Phil Moreton
    Cinematographer,
    07747 144 776
    09productions.com

7. 8 Posted by Jessica Huff on 16 May, 2012 02:13 PM

Hi Phil

I have disabled the iOS streams for both of the Showreel 2012 videos on your account: 932885 and 933178. Please let me know if you would like any other streams removing once you have carried out your tests.

Kind regards

Jessica

8. Alasdair Manson closed this discussion on 12 Dec, 2012 09:01 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

23 Apr, 2014 03:57 PM
23 Apr, 2014 02:39 PM
23 Apr, 2014 02:00 PM